Top Sausage Maker & Meat Slicers on the Market
Choosing the Best Meat Slicer UK
These days, making fresh food at home is becoming far more popular. There are a number of reasons for this. For example, there are less additives and preservatives involved in the process and you can control how healthy your food actually is.
One of the things that a lot of people seem to be doing at the moment is making their own sausages at home. This is actually surprisingly easy to do, especially with the assistance of a sausage maker and meat slicer.
If you haven’t used one of these machines before, then it is unlikely that you will be aware of all of the benefits that they can offer. Here are just a couple of examples to give you a better idea of the advantages that you will get.
- Fresh Meat – One of the problems that you face when you buy meat or sausages from the butchers or supermarket is that there is no way of knowing just how fresh it is, especially if it is a ready cooked product. By slicing your meat and making your own sausages at home, you can make sure that you are getting a product that is 100% fresh.
- Less Bad Ingredients – Another thing that happens when you buy your meat from the supermarket is that it is generally laden with additives and preservatives to give it more of a shelf life. In small quantities this isn’t really a problem, but you have to consider that over time these ingredients could be harmful to your health.
- Create your Own Flavours – One of the biggest advantages that you will get with a sausage maker and meat slicer is that you will be able to create your own recipes from scratch. It allows you to get creative with flavours and create sausages and meat products that you and your family will love.
- Hygiene – Something that worries a lot of people is the conditions in which their meat products have been prepared. Obviously there are strict regulations that factories and butchers have to follow, but there is no way of knowing for certain the hygiene levels that your food has been prepared in. By using a meat slicer and sausage maker, you can be certain of how clean the environment that you are cooking in actually is.
As you can see, there are plenty of benefits that come with these appliances. When it comes to choosing the best electric meat slicer for home use, there are a lot of different things to consider before you can come to a buying decision. One of the best things that you can do is to make sure that you read plenty of customer reviews and shop around as much as possible.
Of course, we know that not everybody has the time to do this, so we have taken some of the work out of it for you. We have tried and tested a range of meat slicers and sausage makers and reviewed our top three. Before reading on to find out how our top three performed, let’s take a look at some of the features that you should look for in your appliance.
What Should you Look for in a Meat Slicer & Sausage Maker?
Before making any purchase, it is a good idea that you keep these points in mind so that you can make sure that you are getting the best model for you.
Generally speaking, you are going to want to go for a meat slicer and sausage maker that has power of at least 700 watts. This should be sufficient enough to cut through tougher meats like pork and beef and it should make mincing sausage meat no trouble at all.
If you are going to be using your appliance on a regular basis, then you really need to go for one that is easy to clean. One with removable parts which are dishwasher safe is usually your best option. Most high-end models will have these features.
Again, if this is something that you plan to use more than once a week then you will want to make sure that it is versatile. Ideally, it should come with several blade types that are interchangeable to allow you to slice meat to different thicknesses and textures.
If you are planning on going for a mid-range to high-end meat slicer and sausage maker, then ideally you should be looking for a model that has plenty of extra features such as different blades and attachments for creating different dishes.
Now, onto our reviews. Please read on below to see how our top three models performed and find out what we thought of them.
3. Andrew James Electric Meat Grinder and Mincer
- 3 Stainless Steel Blades – Fine, Medium & Coarse
- 2 Speeds
- 700 Watt Motor
- Reverse Function
- 3 Sausage Adaptors
- Kibbe Adaptor
- Food Pusher
- Two Year Warranty
- Versatile – It allows you to make a variety of sausages as well as kibbe.
- Can be used to slice vegetables as well as meat.
- It comes with a helpful recipe book.
- It is easy to take apart to clean and the components are dishwasher safe.
- At 6Kg, it is a little heavy.
- It is a little on the noisy side.
Having tested various Andrew James kitchen appliances before, we knew to expect good things. This brand is known for its incredibly well built products, so we were expecting it to perform really well and we weren’t disappointed.
In a white and silver design, this Andrew James Meat Grinder & Mincer looks fantastic. It is very easy to tell that the appliance has been made from very high quality materials. Assembling the product was really easy, it was simply a matter of choosing our attachment and plugging it in and we were ready to go.
The one thing that we did notice about this grinder is that it is a little heavy in comparison to some of its competitors. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it did make it very sturdy, but it could cause problems when trying to move it around the kitchen. However, the rubber feet were a welcome addition as they added to the sturdiness.
In terms of functionality, this model was great. It was very easy to fit each attachment and to operate the different speeds without too much fuss. One thing that we really liked was the reverse function which allows you to remove meat should it become blocked. Another welcome addition was the helpful recipe book that comes with the grinder.
We tried out a couple of recipes to test the effectiveness of this model and we were really impressed. It grinds and minces incredibly quickly and it works really well with the food pusher provided. The only downside is that this is a little noisy. However, overall, it’s a great product.
2. Kenwood MG510
- Very fast – It can process up to two kilograms of meat per minute.
- It has a handy reverse function which can remove any meat that gets stuck.
- It has rubber feet which make it stable when it is being used.
- It can be a little difficult to take apart.
- It can be a little noisy.
The first thing that we have to talk about with this meat grinder and mincer is the stylish design. It comes in a brushed metal colour which looks incredibly sleek. Although it doesn’t have as many attachments as some of the others that we have reviewed, the attachments that it does have are highly effective.
When using the machine, the first thing that we noticed was how powerful it was. It states that it can process up to two kilograms of meat per minute. Given the speed that it processed the meat that we put through the machine, we can well believe this. It was incredibly fast.
As with most appliances of this type, it comes with a handy sausage adaptor, kibbe adaptor and food pusher, all of which were incredibly easy to use. We had no trouble using any of them. The one time that meat did get stuck it was very easy to remove by simply using the reverse motor function.
The only thing that we didn’t like with this Kenwood model is that the different components felt a little difficult to take apart when we wanted to wash them. However, we suspect that this is something that would get easier with time and practice using the appliance. Overall, this is a great model that we really recommend.
1. GOURMETmaxx 02119 – Our Top Choice
- 3 Different Stainless Steel Blades
- 3 Different Cutting Attachments
- 24L Capacity
- 1000 Watts
- Reverse Function
- Multiple Adaptors
- Food Pusher
- Very easy to take apart and clean.
- Very fast – It can process a pound of meat in 4 minutes.
- Anti-slip feet keep the appliance stable.
- It is a little more on the expensive side.
This meat slicer and sausage maker from GourmetMaxx is absolutely incredible. The design is not exactly what we would call stylish, but you can certainly tell that it has been made from very high-quality materials. It looks and feels great.
Assembling the appliance was no problem at all, it took us a matter of minutes to decide on the attachments that we wanted to use and to get the machine up and running. The noise levels are absolutely fine and the rubber feet are highly effective at keeping the machine stable whilst it is in use.
One thing that we were a little concerned about is the less powerful motor that comes with this particular model. At 1000 watts it seemed a little low for such a high end product. However, we weren’t disappointed by the power levels in the slightest; it was incredibly fast and blitzed through meat in seconds.
One feature that we really liked with this one is the three cutting blades that come with it. These allow you to slice your meat into strips, slices and more. It is also suitable for cutting other foods such as cheese and vegetables. Whilst this is a pricier product, it is definitely worth the extra money that you will pay for it and this is why it is our top choice today.
Hopefully after reading our reviews, you now have a much better idea on the best meat slicer and sausage maker for your kitchen.